Tuition and Financial Aid

Annual tuition rates for 2021-2022

(Total of Autumn, Winter and Spring Quarters)

  • Resident: $34,335 per year
  • Non-Resident: $56,580 per year

PharmD students pay the full-time tuition rate at 14 or more credits of enrollment. Enrollment in fewer than 14 credits is charged on a per-credit basis. Additional fees include the Health Sciences Fee, course or lab fees, and other fees. For the most up-to-date quarterly rates or cost per credit, please visit the Office of Planning and Budgeting website.

Financial Aid

School of Pharmacy Scholarships

The School of Pharmacy awards annual scholarships primarily on the basis of academic merit and financial need. Other criteria may include pharmacy practice interest area, leadership experience, civic engagement, class year, etc. These allocations are made through a competitive process and designed to supplement financial aid awarded through the UW Office of Student Financial Aid. To be eligible for need-based scholarships the applicant must have submitted a current FAFSA. School of Pharmacy scholarships are generally awarded once per year, typically in the range of $1,000 – $3,000.

University of Washington Financial Aid
The UW Office of Student Financial Aid is located in Schmitz Hall in room 105. The UW Office of Student Financial Aid administers federal, state and private financial aid programs designed to help students pay for their education. Assistance is available in the form of tuition waivers, grants and scholarships, work opportunities, and loans. An information packet describing the different programs, eligibility criteria and application procedures may be obtained by calling (206) 543-6101 or emailing or by visiting the Office of Student Financial Aid website.

To be eligible for federal financial aid through the Office of Student Financial Aid (OSFA), an individual must be a U.S. Citizen, permanent resident, or other eligible non-citizen and be admitted to the University as a matriculated, degree-seeking student. Priority consideration is given to students who submit their Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) by the February deadline.

You should complete the FAFSA in January of the year before you intend to begin the PharmD program.

Over 18 Credit Surcharge

UW undergraduate, graduate, and law students who are registered for more than 18 credits will be charged additional tuition (a surcharge) for each credit over 18. Because of your PharmD student status, the “Over 18 credit surcharge” is waived. Your tuition rate will remain unchanged for any registration level between 14 and 30 credits. If you register for more than 18 credits in any given quarter, you will see a line item on your tuition statement for the additional credits (it will list “Tuition – Credit-hr surcharge”). A few days before the beginning of the quarter, a separate line item listed as “OVER 18 HOURS/OP EXEMPTION” will appear as a credit on your statement, canceling out the charge.

Note: we do not recommend registering for more than 21 credits, except for special circumstances (e.g., APPE registration involving a “swing” month). Students should speak to their academic advisor if they are considering a heavy registration load.