UWSOP 2022-2025 Strategic Plan
From Our Interim Dean
It is with great pleasure that I share with you the UWSOP 2022-2025 Strategic Plan (PDF).
The Plan grounds us in what we do – short-term and long-term – and commits the School to strive for excellence across six pillars, namely Unparalleled Education; Life-Changing Research; Leaders in Health Care and Science; Service for the Public Good; Culture and Infrastructure for Success; and Preeminent Students, Faculty and Staff.
The 2022-2025 Strategic Plan will guide our actions, decisions and priorities in the coming three years. There are three sections: 1) Vision & Mission statements; 2) our Core Values; and 3) the Pillars & Goals of our Strategic Plan. Our strategic plan communicates who we are as an organization and serves as a roadmap for the next three years and beyond.
Peggy Soule Odegard, BScPharm, PharmD, CDCES
Interim Dean & Professor, School of Pharmacy
University of Washington
UW Strategic Plan Refresh Process
The School of Pharmacy initiated the strategic planning refresh process in autumn 2021 to update the 2015-2021 Strategic Plan. This process focused the following questions: 1) what’s been completed? 2) what needs to continue? and 3) what needs to be added? The process includes a web-based survey administered to internal and external stakeholders (faculty, staff, PharmD students, graduate students, postdocs, alumni, preceptors, other stakeholders) to Identify which strategies to carry forward and identify new strategies. Once drafted, the 2022-2025 Strategic Plan underwent broad consultation and review, including with the Senior Leadership Committee, Elected Faculty Council, the Dean’s Advisory Council of Students, the School’s Executive Advisory Council, with presentations at the All-School Faculty and Staff meeting before final approval by the School’s Executive Council.
2022-2025 UW Strategic Plan
We will be the global leader in pharmacy education, research and service, committed to providing a transformative learning experience in a collaborative and diverse environment focused on improving the health and well-being of the communities we serve.
Inspiring Education: Develop exceptional, innovative and diverse pharmacy leaders and scientists.
Discovering Solutions: Advance the science, development, implementation, and outcomes of safe and appropriate health care.
Serving People and Communities: Promote the health and well-being of the public, locally and globally.
Our mission, vision and strategic plan must reflect the values that define the unique identity and character of our School. Respect, integrity, diversity and community are at the heart of our enterprise.
We believe in:
- A passion for discovery and learning excellence in every endeavor
- Integration and synergy of research and education
- The quality and breadth of our academic programs
- An essential partnership of students, faculty and staff
- Cultivating strong, external collaborations
- Embracing diverse perspectives, beliefs and cultures
- Celebrating scholarship, achievements and successes
- Serving for the greater good of society
Our 2022-2025 Pillars & Goals
Ensure a transformative student experience in a forward-looking and exemplary learning environment.
- Deliver dynamic, synergistic, and forward-looking curricula that emphasize solutions to real-world problems
- Prepare students for an evolving profession and environment while meeting regional and national workforce needs.
- Enhance the breadth of our educational programs to include undergraduate preparation for pharmacy and the pharmaceutical sciences and online learning.
Advance research initiatives that enable innovative solutions to the evolving needs of patients and society.
- Expand strategic priority areas and enhance collaborative and interdisciplinary research programs.
- Seed innovative, translational and emerging high-risk research initiatives and technologies.
- Enhance and advance the integration of diversity, equity and inclusion and community needs into research.
- Translate and disseminate our research for greater impact on science and health.
Preeminent Students, Faculty and Staff
Attract and support a community infused with a culture of excellence, collaboration, respect and diversity.
- Engage diverse, top tier students that seek to develop and excel as leaders, collaborators, scientists and providers of patient-centered care.
- Attract, retain, and promote a talented, diverse and highly effective work force.
- Cultivate an accessible, inclusive and equitable environment that promotes and rewards partnerships and collaborations within the School, across the UW, and with other stakeholders.
Leaders in Health Care and Science
Shape the future of health care delivery, discovery and policy.
- Drive full integration, engagement, and collaboration of pharmacists as key partners and providers in the health care delivery system.
- Catalyze transformation in professional practice.
- Promote an innovative research and policy agenda that informs and advances health and science.
- Influence the national and international health care delivery and research agenda.
- Advance patient-centered health care quality, access and affordability.
Service for the Public Good
Improve population health through targeted and meaningful public service.
- Strengthen systematic, compassionate, and coordinated outreach to improve the health and well-being of people living in regional and global communities.
- Advocate for access, equity and inclusion in health care.
- Increase alumni, stakeholder and public engagement.
Culture and Infrastructure for Success
Provide a world-class environment and space where faculty, staff and students thrive.
- Invest in the ongoing professional development of faculty and staff.
- Support, engage, grow, and retain high quality and diverse training sites.
- Adopt the best technologies and practices to enhance a quality, forward-thinking and cost-efficient educational and research environment.
- Foster an atmosphere that inspires and rewards innovation.