UWSOP 2015-2020 Strategic Plan
From Our Dean
It is with great pleasure that I share with you the UWSOP 2015-2020 Strategic Plan (PDF). This document represents hundreds of voices and thousands of hours of work from dedicated teams of internal and external colleagues.
The 2015-2020 Strategic Plan will guide our actions, decisions and priorities in the coming five years. There are three sections: 1) revised Vision & Mission statements; 2) a description of our Core Values; and 3) the Pillars & Goals of our Strategic Plan. These elements combined communicate who we are as an organization and act as a map for the road ahead.
We know the coming years will continue to present new challenges and opportunities in higher education, research, patient care, and pharmacy practice. There will be obstacles to overcome and an increasing need for adaptive and more rapid solutions that address major issues in education, research and health care delivery. This document does not seek to answer those questions directly, but provides a framework for us to organize our response to these challenges.
Sean D. Sullivan, BScPharm, PhD
Professor and Dean, School of Pharmacy
University of Washington
We will be the global leader in pharmacy education, research and service, committed to providing a transformative learning experience in a collaborative and diverse environment focused on improving the health and well-being of the communities we serve.
Inspiring Education: Develop exceptional, innovative and diverse pharmacy leaders and scientists.
Discovering Solutions: Advance the science, development, implementation, and outcomes of safe and appropriate treatments.
Serving People and Communities:
Promote the health and well-being of the public, locally and globally.
Our Core Values
Our mission, vision and strategic plan must reflect the values that define the unique identity and character of our School.
Respect, integrity, diversity and community are at the heart of our enterprise.
We believe in:
- A Passion for Discovery and Learning
- Excellence in Every Endeavor
- Integration and Synergy of Research
- The Quality and Breadth of Our Academic Programs
- An Essential Partnership of Students,
Faculty and Staff
- Cultivating Strong, External Collaborations
- Embracing Diverse Perspectives, Beliefs
- Celebrating Scholarship, Achievements
- Serving for the Greater Good of Society
Our 2015-2020 Pillars & Goals
Ensure a transformative student experience in a forward-looking and exemplary learning environment.
- Deliver a dynamic, synergistic, and pioneering curriculum that emphasizes creating solutions to real-world problems.
- Prepare outstanding students for an evolving profession and environment while meeting regional and national workforce needs.
- Enhance the breadth of our educational programs to focus on professional development, critical thinking, leadership, and communication.
- Strengthen interprofessional and patient-centered training in alignment with emerging, integrated health care models.
Advance research initiatives that enable innovative solutions to the evolving needs of patients and society.
- Leverage and align our major research strengths to increase critical mass and health impact.
- Identify and seed innovative, translational and emerging research initiatives and technologies that address foundational science questions as well as critical health problems regionally and globally.
- Diversify the funding base for research to assure continuity and stability.
- Develop mechanisms to promote cross-disciplinary research and graduate education across departments and within the greater UW community.
- Strengthen and diversify our external partnerships.
Preeminent Students, Faculty and Staff
Attract and support a community of thought leaders infused with a culture of excellence, collaboration, respect and diversity.
- Engage diverse, top tier students that seek to develop and excel as leaders, collaborators, scientists and providers of patient-centered care.
- Attract, retain, and promote a talented, diverse and highly effective work force.
- Invest in the ongoing professional development of faculty and staff.
- Foster an environment of collegiality and openness that promotes and rewards partnerships and collaborations within the School, across the UW, and with other stakeholders.
Leaders in Healthcare
Shape the future of health care delivery, discovery and policy.
- Drive full integration, engagement, and collaboration of pharmacists as key partners and providers in the health care delivery system.
- Lead innovation in health care by being an active, influential and transformational participant.
- Promote an innovative research and policy agenda that informs and advances health.
- Influence the national and international health care research agenda.
- Advance the goals of patient-centered health care provision: quality, access and affordability.
Service for the Public Good
Improve population health through targeted and meaningful public service.
- Develop a systematic, compassionate and coordinated approach that supports community outreach to improve people’s health and well-being, regionally and globally.
- Advocate for equity and inclusion in health care.
- Align our service and outreach enterprise with the core public service mission of the University of Washington and the needs of the communities we serve.
Culture of Innovation
Foster an atmosphere that inspires and rewards innovation.
- Catalyze transformation in professional practice.
- Build a culture that supports creative, impactful, and responsible solutions to real-world problems.
- Develop and disseminate novel approaches in research and teaching.
Infrastructure for Success
Create a world-class environment and facility that optimizes learning, discovery, communication and collaboration.
- Support, engage, grow, and retain high quality and diverse training sites.
- Adopt the best technologies and practices to enhance a quality, forward-thinking and cost-efficient educational and research environment.
- Increase alumni, stakeholder and public engagement.