Skip to content

International Applicants

International Students

International Students eligible to apply to the PharmD program provided that they meet the following requirements:

  1. TOEFL is required with a minimum score as follows: Internet-based test: 100, Computer-based test: 250 or Paper-based test: 600-603 (F-1 Visa Students Only). Scores are based on the TOEFL Internet-based Test Score Comparison Tables, published by ETS (Educational Testing Services 2005). “Official” scores are valid for only two years, and must be submitted by the application deadline. The TOEFL does not need to be retaken if an applicant completes a BA or BS degree in a native English-speaking country. Degree must be awarded by the time of application. Native English -speaking countries include only the following: US, Canada, United Kingdom, Ireland, Australia and New Zealand. Send TOEFL scores directly to PharmCAS. PharmCAS code – 8246
  2. International Applicants must meet all established application criteria
    1. PharmCAS Application Deadlines
    2. Recommendation
    3. Applicants must meet all established academic requirements
    4. Foreign transcript review (see below)
    5. Review of coursework (course description and/or syllabus) to determine acceptability as meeting prerequisites – Note that most international coursework will not count towards our prerequisite requirements.
    6. Recommended completion of math and science coursework within five years of application
    7. Applicants may be advised to take or retake coursework if courses that have already been taken do not satisfy our prerequisites
    8. Applicants must meet establish Prerequisite and Cumulative GPA thresholds for consideration of offer of interview
    9. Prerequisites must be completed by the end of Spring Term of the year of application
  3. If offered admission, international applicants must provide proof of ability to meet costs of the PharmD Program. International students are not eligible to apply for financial aid. (This will be addressed in more detail in the PharmD Application information)
  4. If offered admission, all students including international applicants must provide proof of individual health insurance coverage as well as protection against a number of vaccine-preventable diseases and documentation regarding surveillance for tuberculosis

Foreign Transcripts

ALL transcripts for coursework completed at foreign colleges or universities must be translated and evaluated course-by-course by a certified agency. The UW School of Pharmacy will only accept evaluations from the following certified agencies: Educational Credentials Evaluations (ECE), World Education Services (WES), or Educational Perspectives. These transcripts and evaluations are required although the coursework does not apply toward the pharmacy prerequisites.

To obtain additional information or download the application form on-line, please contact any of the following certified agencies:

Educational Credential Evaluators, Inc (ECE)
P. O. Box 514070
Milwaukee, WI 53203–3470

Educational Perspectives
P. O. Box 618056
Chicago, IL 60661–8056

World Education Services (WES)
P. O. Box 745, Old Chelsea Station
New York, NY 10113–0745

For more information contact

Curricular Practical Training (CPT)

Curricular Practical Training (CPT) is temporary authorization for practical training directly related to a student’s major field of study.  Students in F-1 status must apply for CPT authorization before starting all off-campus learning activities. U.S. Immigration regulations state that CPT authorization is required for all off-campus activity, including required experiential education (practicums), and internship experience (unpaid or paid).

CPT associated with the PharmD curriculum:

Because the PharmD Program requires experiential learning starting in the first year, International Students (F-1 visa holders) are eligible to apply immediately for CPT associated with the curriculum.

CPT associated with employment, paid or unpaid, as a pharmacist intern:

International students (F-1 visa holders) may be also be eligible for internship-related practical training while enrolled full-time in the UW PharmD Program. UW ISS (International Student Services) advisors will determine individual student eligibility for employment-associated Curricular Practical Training (CPT).

  • Eligibility for CPT relies on a student’s prior history of education in the U.S., how the activity is in compliance with U.S. government immigration rules (as assessed by UW ISS) and how the activity is supported by the academic department as related to the degree program (as assessed by School of Pharmacy advisors and faculty).
  • Students must have a job before application for CPT, and CPT is authorized for that specific job. If a student is authorized for CPT for a specific job and finds another job opportunity or wishes to leave a current job during an authorized CPT period, the student must submit a request to terminate the authorized CPT and a request to authorize a new CPT site.
  • Please carefully review the ISS CPT information, including eligibility rules, application instructions, etc.

Implications for Optional Practical Training (OPT)

Under Federal immigration law, there is no limit to CPT; however, if students use more than 12 months of full-time CPT, they will lose the opportunity to apply for Optional Practical Training (OPT) and may lose their ability to remain legally in the U.S. after degree completion.

PharmD students interested in applying for OPT should consider the following:

  • Core (required) experiential courses in the School of Pharmacy PharmD “Purple” curriculum, launched in Autumn 2019, will result in less than 12 months of full-time CPT.
  • An international student who receives an offer of employment as a pharmacist intern (or any other employment) off campus must apply for CPT. This CPT will be added to the total CPT time associated with the required experiential courses in the PharmD curriculum.
  • Prior to making decisions related to employment, international students are encouraged to contact their advisor regarding how optional CPT for intern pharmacist positions, in combination with curriculum-related CPT, may potentially affect their OPT eligibility.

Graduates of a School of Pharmacy Outside of the U.S.

(Foreign Graduate Students)

International students who hold a five-year undergraduate pharmacy degree conferred by a recognized school of pharmacy outside the United States, the District of Columbia and Puerto Rico may consider the option of taking the Foreign Pharmacy Graduate Equivalency Examination (FPGEE) in lieu of pursuing the PharmD degree program.

The Foreign Pharmacy Graduate Examination Committee (FPGEC) operates under the auspices of the National Association of Boards of Pharmacy (NABP). NABP provides the FPGEC Certification Program as a means of documenting the educational equivalency of a candidate’s foreign pharmacy education, as well as the license and/or registration. Candidates are also required to pass the FPGEE, the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL), and the Test of Spoken English (TSE). The FPGEC Certificate allows foreign graduates to partially fulfill eligibility requirements for licensure in the states that consider the certification.

Individuals who wish to obtain more information about this option are advised to visit the NABP website at: or contact the Washington Board of Pharmacy at 360-236-4825

International students who hold a four-year undergraduate pharmacy degree from a School of Pharmacy outside the United States, the District of Columbia and Puerto Rico are not eligible to complete the FPGEE option and will have to complete a PharmD Degree Program in the U.S. in order to become licensed to practice pharmacy in the U.S. Such a degree holder who is interested in the UW PharmD Program will have to complete all prerequisites at a college, university or community college in the U.S. as well as meet all other application requirements and standards.