Assistant Professor, Medicinal Chemistry
PH: 206 616 3972
- AB (Honors), Harvard University
- PhD, Johns Hopkins University
- HIV, Influenza A virus
- Biophysical, structural, and biochemical techniques including X-ray scattering, cryo-electron microscopy, hydrogen/deuterium-exchange mass spectrometry, and fluorescence microscopy to understand the function of viral machinery
Dr. Lee completed his postdoctoral fellowship in biophysical and structural virology at the Scripps Research Institute. He also spent two years conducting independent grant-supported research — focusing on the conformational dynamics of influenza hemagglutinin during membrane fusion — in the Department of Molecular Biology at Scripps.
The Lee Lab is a member in the UW Biological Physics, Structure and Design Graduate Program, and it is a member of the UW interdepartmental Pathobiology Graduate Program. In 2012, Lee was awarded a $1.45 million grant from the National Institutes of Health to study some of the more elusive but fundamental aspects of influenza virus membrane fusion. The project is focusing on determining what drives the fusion process, in addition to the nature of membrane deformations during fusion, which currently is not well understood. The Lee Lab's studies of HIV's envelope fusion protein carried out in collaboration with the lab of Professor of Pharmaceutics Shiu-Lok Hu is supported by the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation.
Lee also holds an adjunct appointment in the UW Microbiology Department. He has received a Creative and Novel Ideas in HIV Research Award by the National Institutes of Health and the Centers for AIDS Research.
Recent Selected Publications
- Lu C, Turley S, Marionni ST, Park Y-J, Lee KK, Patrick M, Shah R, Sandkvist M, Bush MF, Hol WGJ. "Hexamers of the Type II Secretion ATPase GspE from Vibrio cholerae with Increased ATPase Activity." Structure. 2013, accepted for publication.
- Guo W, Cleveland B, Davenport T, Lee KK, Hu S-L. "Purification of Recombinant Vaccinia Virus-Expressed Monomeric HIV-1 gp120 to Apparent Homogeneity." Protein Expression and Purification. (2013), 90(1):34-39.
- Guttman M, Weinkam P, Sali A, Lee KK. "All-atom Ensemble Modeling to Analyze Small Angle X-ray Scattering of Glycosylated Proteins." Structure. (2013), 21(3):321-331.
- Porotto M, Salah Z, Gui L, DeVito I, Jurgens E, Lu H, Yokoyama C, Palermo L, Lee KK, Moscona A. "Regulation of Paramyxovirus Fusion Activation: the Hemagglutinin-Neuraminidase Protein Stabilizes the Fusion Protein in a Pre-triggered State." Journal of Virology. (2012), 86(23):12838-48.
- Guttman M, Kahn M, Garcia NK, Hu S-L, Lee KK. "Solution Structure, Conformational Dynamics, and CD4-induced Activation in Full-length, Glycosylated, Monomeric HIV gp120." Journal of Virology. (2012), 86(16):8750-64.
- Lee KK, Pessi A, Gui L, Santoprete A, Talekar A, Moscona A, Porotto M. "Capturing a Fusion Intermediate of Influenza Hemagglutinin with a Cholesterol-conjugated Peptide." Journal of Biological Chemistry. (2011), 286(49):42141-9.
- Guttman M, Scian M, Lee KK. "Tracking Hydrogen/Deuterium Exchange at Glycan Sites in Glycoproteins by Mass Spectrometry." Analytical Chemistry. (2011), 83(19):7492-7499.
- Lee KK. "Architecture of a Nascent Viral Fusion Pore." The EMBO Journal. (2010), 29(7):1299-1311.