Information for visiting scholars and other visitors to Medicinal Chemistry and the UW — welcome!
Things To Do In and Around Seattle
Seattle and the surrounding area offer a wide variety of activities. We are surrounded by endless amounts of natural beauty and are within 1-2 hours of ocean, mountains (Cascades and Olympics), desert (east of the mountains) and rainforest (Olympic Peninsula).
Aside from the large array of outdoor activities these places offer, there are activities to appeal to almost everyone’s tastes. Like sports? Museums? Music? Dining? Shopping? Theater? The strange and unusual? They’re all here! Some of our favorites include:
- Mariners baseball, Seahawks football, Storm basketball (2018 WNBA Champs, woo!), and Sounders soccer.
- Skiing at Crystal Mountain, Stevens Pass, Snoqualmie Pass or Mt. Baker.
- Camping, hiking or climbing in one of Washington’s beautiful state parks, national parks or national forests.
- If you like running, cycling, skating or walking, try the Burke Gilman Trail which goes right past campus and follows Lake Washington north, then east, to meet up with the Sammamish River Trail. The Interurban Trail travels from North Seattle northward into Snohomish County. For more local bicycling information the Cascade Bicycle Club is a good resource, or you can take a look at the SDOT Online Bike Map.
- Tour the Seattle Art Museum and Olympic Sculpture Park downtown.
- Shopping at Pike Place Market, U Village, and downtown (Westlake Center, Pacific Place).
- Underground Tour through late 19th-century Seattle.
- Canoeing through the UW Arboretum (rentals at UW Waterfront Activities Center).
- If you prefer kayaking, rent a kayak from nearby Agua Verde Cafe (good food too!).
- Day or weekend trips to Victoria in Canada.
- Ferry trips.
For a “virtual” visit to Seattle, go to https://www.bohonus.com/category/seattle/