Plein Certificate Clerkships
Senior Care Clerkships (PHRMPR 566)
The general objectives and activities of each of the senior care pharmacy clerkships are similar; the specific activities and objectives vary with the practice settings. Major responsibilities are to assess patient needs and to make recommendations on complex drug therapies for older adults. All clerkships feature interdisciplinary care and follow-up and ongoing patient monitoring. Students are expected to present (either alone or as a member of a team) an in-service for professional staff and/or a talk for residents of a retirement home or clients of a senior center. Generally, preceptors for senior care clerkships require that students have a general medicine clerkship prior to the senior care clerkship.
- A minimum of 7 credits is required for clerkships to fulfill the certificate requirements. Students are encouraged to take additional clerkships in order to prepare for providing care to seniors.
Potential Clerkship Sites
- Foss Home
- Harborview Neurology/Rehab Medicine
- Harborview Interprofessional Geriatrics Service
- Kelley-Ross Long Term Care Pharmacy
- UW Pharmacy Cares
- Providence Infusion and Pharmacy Services
- PeaceHealth Southwest Medical Center
- Evergreen Senior Health Services
- Overlake Senior Health Center
PharmD students should register using the appropriate geriatrics course number listed with the specific clerkship:
- PHRMPR 566 (7 credits)