- PhD, Medicinal Chemistry, 1984, University of Washington
- BA, Chemistry, 1979, Eastern Washington University
- Analytical methods for studying drug metabolism and drug targets in drug development for industry. Major focus on anti-cancer drugs.
Taking Students: No
In 1984, after completing his PhD in the Department of Medicinal Chemistry under the guidance of his adviser, the late Sidney Nelson, Dr. Porubek received a postdoctoral fellowship at the Karolinska Institute in Sweden. After that fellowship, he returned to the UW School of Pharmacy to serve as a postdoctoral fellow in the lab of then-Professor of Medicinal Chemistry (and now School of Pharmacy Dean) Thomas Baillie.
Throughout his career, Porubek has worked for several Seattle area research companies – many of which focused on cancer drug development. He has worked in roles from research scientist to project manager at places including Cell Therapeutics, Pathogenesis Corp. and OncoGenex. He joined the Department of Medicinal Chemistry faculty in 2012, and he is currently a research consultant.
- Porubek D. CYP17A1: a biochemistry, chemistry, and clinical review. Curr Top Med Chem. 2013;13(12):1364-84. Review.
- Marier JF, Pheng L, Trinh MM, Burris HA 3rd, Jones S, Anderson K, Warner S, Porubek D. Pharmacokinetics of SN2310, an injectable emulsion that incorporates a new derivative of SN-38 in patients with advanced solid tumors. J Pharm Sci. 2011 Oct;100(10):4536-45. doi: 10.1002/jps.22645. Epub 2011 May 31