Office Location: 305B Roosevelt
Website: PK Lab
Accepting Student to Lab: No
- PhD in Pharmaceutics, State University of New York at Buffalo
- BA in Chemistry and Biology, Luther College
- Opioid pharmacokinetics & pharmacodynamics
- Pharmacokinetic modeling & simulations
- Pharmacokinetics of herb-drug interactions
- PCEUT 505 Concepts in Pharmaceutical Sciences I
- PCEUT 503 Drug Transport & Delivery
- PCEUT 531 Pharmaceutical Formulation: Principles and Dosage Forms
Dr. Shen received his doctoral degree in pharmaceutics from the State University of New York at Buffalo in 1975. He is currently Professor Emeritus of Pharmaceutics at the University of Washington. He was Chair of the Department of Pharmacy from 1999 to 2011. He also held a Member appointment in the Clinical Research Division at the Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center from 1973 to 2016. Prior to his joining the faculty at the University of Washington in 1984, he held faculty appointments at the University of Kansas Medical Center (1975-1979) and State University of New York at Buffalo (1979-1984). Dr. Shen is a Fellow of the AAPS, and is 2010 President of the Association. He is also a Past-Chair of the Pharmaceutical Sciences Section and a Fellow of the American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS). Dr. Shen is a member of the editorial advisory board for AAPS Journal, Pharmaceutical Research, and Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences. He has served as advisor or consultant to NIH, FDA and pharmaceutical industry. Dr.
Shen has a broad range of research interests involving first-pass drug metabolism, drug transport in the central nervous system, pharmacokinetics/pharmacodynamics of opioid analgesics, and pharmacokinetics of herb-drug interactions. He has published over 200 journal articles, reviews and book chapters.