Licensure Requirements

Please read Chapter 246-858 WAC for complete information on Washington State internship requirements, on the Washington State Legislature WACs page. For information about Intern Registration, visit the Washington State Pharmacy Quality Assurance Commission (PQAC) webpage for Intern Registration. Questions should be directed to the PQAC at (360) 236-4825.

The State of Washington requires 1500 hours of internship as part of the requirements for licensure as a pharmacist. Students in the Doctor of Pharmacy program are allowed to put a maximum of 1200 hours of experiential education done as part of the advanced pharmacy practice experiences (APPEs) toward the 1500 hours required by the Washington State Pharmacy Quality Assurance Commission for licensure. The School will submit paperwork to the Pharmacy Commission for the 1200 hours earned through APPE coursework. Students are responsible for earning and reporting the remaining 300 hours. Students will need to obtain, fill out, and submit necessary paperwork (internship site/preceptor notification, intern self-evaluation, preceptor evaluation and certification of experience, intern site evaluation report) directly to the Washington State Pharmacy Quality Assurance Commission.

University of Washington Doctor of Pharmacy students must apply to the Washington State Pharmacy Quality Assurance Commission for registration as an intern after they have been formally accepted into the program (i.e., received a satisfactory review on the background check, successfully completed all the program prerequisites, and submitted all required paperwork and fees to both the School and University). Once these requirements have been met and a written release signed by the student has been received, the School will notify the Pharmacy Commission regarding the student’s formal acceptance. Students may start working as an intern on the first day of professional coursework and may not count earned hours towards licensure until they have completed their first quarter in pharmacy school. They must also work under the supervision of a certified preceptor (WAC 246-858-040).

Students must notify the Pharmacy Commission of the name of their preceptor and intern site prior to beginning their internship (see Internship Site and Preceptor Notification Form located at the Washington State Pharmacy Quality Assurance Commission website below).

A student who is not currently enrolled and attending classes in the PharmD Program for any reason is not eligible to work as a Pharmacy intern, and notification of nonenrollment is required. See the Intern Registration information earlier in this section of Student Resources for more details.

All forms relating to internship licensing and reporting are available from the Pharmacy Commission, posted on the PQAC Pharmacy Intern page.

NOTE: It is the student’s responsibility to maintain contact with the Washington Pharmacy Quality Assurance Commission regarding these requirements. Please consult the law book or the PQAC for guidelines.

The Washington State Pharmacy Quality Assurance Commission is physically located at 310 Israel Rd, Tumwater, WA, 98501. Email:

After successful completion of all requirements for graduation, and upon a student’s written request, the School will send a letter to the Washington State Pharmacy Quality Assurance Commission or any other State Board of Pharmacy informing them of the student’s learning hours (1200 hours) completed through required coursework. The student is responsible for submitting evidence of the remaining required hours (300 hours) of internship to the Washington Pharmacy Quality Assurance Commission.

Students wishing to become licensed in a state other than Washington need to contact the State Board of Pharmacy in that state. Contact information for other state boards of pharmacy may be found through the National Association of Boards of Pharmacy (NABP). Students must determine what paperwork is required for licensure in the state, and notify the School of Pharmacy if documentation from the School needs to be sent to that State Board of Pharmacy, and to whom it should be directed.