School Facts and Highlights 2012-2013
At the University of Washington School of Pharmacy, we are committed to educating the next generation of leaders in pharmacy, pharmaceutical research and health care — while seeking to ensure the safe, rational and cost-effective use of medicines.
- Educate pharmacists who work in partnership with other health professionals to provide accessible, compassionate and integrative pharmacy care.
- Develop scientific leaders who make informed decisions at preclinical, clinical and post-approval stages of drug discovery and development, and who integrate knowledge in the pharmaceutical sciences, health policy and economics.
- Serve the community as committed and compassionate leaders who help develop and disseminate solutions to complex health-care problems and promote the health and well-being of regional, national and global populations.
OUR DEAN: Thomas A. Baillie, PhD, DSc
PharmD Students: 364
PhD Students: 59
MS Students: 43
PharmD Student Demographics:
- American Indian/Native Alaskan: 1%
- Asian, Pacific Islander & Hawaiian: 52%
- Black 1%
- Hispanic 3%
- White 39%
- Other: 4%
- Female: 66%
- Male: 34%
DEPARTMENTS & PROGRAMSUnder the leadership of Dean Thomas A. Baillie, PhD, DSc, the School of Pharmacy has 42 full-time equivalent faculty members. The following departments and programs are each centers of excellence in their own right:
Department of Medicinal Chemistry
Conducting research in drug metabolism, bio-analytical chemistry and the biophysical characterization of viral protein assembly
Chair: Allan E. Rettie, PhD
Department of Pharmaceutics
Conducting research in pharmacokinetics and drug disposition
Chair: Kenneth E. Thummel, PhD
Department of Pharmacy
Leading in pharmacy education, research, and professional and outreach initiatives
Chair: Peggy S. Odegard, PharmD
Pharmaceutical Outcomes Research & Policy Program
Conducting research in pharmaceutical economics, drug safety and pharmaceutical policy
Director: Sean D. Sullivan, PhD
- We are the No. 10 ranked pharmacy school in the nation, according to U.S. News & World Report.
- Faculty secured more than $17 million in overall research funding in fiscal year 2012.
- In fiscal year 2011, we received more than $9 million in National Institutes of Health grant funding.
EDUCATIONAL OFFERINGSProfessional Degree: Doctor of Pharmacy (PharmD)
Master of Science (MS): Medicinal Chemistry, Pharmaceutical Outcomes Research & Policy Program (PORPP), Pharmaceutics, Professional MS in Biomedical Regulatory Affairs
Doctor of Philosophy (PhD): Medicinal Chemistry, Pharmaceutics, PORPP
Concurrent Degrees: PharmD/Physician Assistant, PharmD/MS, PharmD/PhD
Certificate Programs: Biomedical Regulatory Affairs, Clinical Trials, Comparative Effectiveness Research, Health Economics and Outcomes Research, Plein Certificate in Geriatric Pharmacy
Residency Programs: Ambulatory Care, Community Pharmacy, Critical Care, General Residency, Oncology, Pharmacy Management/Master of Health Administration
AWARDS & HONORS
- Faculty hold leadership roles in associations including the American Association of Colleges of Pharmacy, American Association of Pharmaceutical Scientists, American Chemical Society, American College of Clinical Pharmacy, International Society for Pharmaco-economics and Outcomes Research and the Royal Society of Chemistry.
- Recent faculty honors include a Founders’ Award from the American Chemical Society Division of Chemical Toxicology, two appointments as Fellows in the American Association for the Advancement of Science, and an election as a UW Entrepreneurial Faculty Fellow.
- Recent student honors include an election as president of the National Community Pharmacists Association – Student Leadership Council, a first place award in the American Society of Health-System Pharmacists Clinical Skills Competition, and three Institute of Translational Health Sciences TL1 Multidisciplinary Predoctoral Awards.
RESOURCES & RESEARCH CENTERS
- Analytical Biopharmacy Core
- Bracken Pharmacy Learning Center
- DNA Sequencing and Gene Analysis Center
- Mass Spectrometry Center
- Metabolism and Transport Drug Interaction Database
- Northwest-Alaska Pharmacogenomics Research Network
- Pharmacokinetics Lab
- UW Obstetric-Fetal Pharmacology Research Unit
- UW Pharmacy Cares Consulting Pharmacy
- UW Research Affiliates Program on Transporters
FISCAL YEAR 2012 REVENUE: $34.6 MILLION
- The School (then College) of Pharmacy was founded in 1894 as the third college at the UW.
- Louis D. Bracken, the inventor of the original “Blistex” lip ointment, attended the College of Pharmacy in 1912 and 1913.
- Bill Stavropoulos, PhD in Medicinal Chemistry, ’67, served as president, COO and chairman of Dow Chemical Company.
- George Bartell, Jr., ’53, was the president and CEO of Bartell Drugs for 44 years. Bartell was the son of the founder of the family-owned drug store chain, which is the nation’s oldest.
- Impel NeuroPharma, a company seeking to enable drugs to bypass the blood-brain barrier, was co-founded in 2008 by Professor of Pharmaceutics Rodney Ho and John Hoekman, PhD, ’10.
Print out a PDF of these School of Pharmacy Facts and Highlights.
Showcasing Our School's Excellence