History of the School
by Jack E. Orr, Dean Emeritus
A New School in a Young City
The 51st school of pharmacy in the United States was established in 1894 in a muddy Washington frontier town called Seattle. The University of Washington College of Pharmacy was created through the efforts of the Washington State Pharmaceutical Association (WSPA), which had lobbied for legislation regulating its profession in the new state. With the passage of the bill in 1893 requiring all Washington pharmacists to be "graduates in pharmacy" unless already engaged in the business, the Association saw the need for a school of pharmacy in the Northwest.
The support of the state association, the board of pharmacy, and drug business leaders were critical elements in gaining the Regents' approval. Another plus was that one of the members of the Board of Regents was David Kellogg, who co-founded one of Seattle's first drug stores in 1863. These factors contributed to the formal resolution establishing the University of Washington's College of Pharmacy, now the third oldest currently recognized school at the University, after the College of Arts and Sciences and the College of Education.
Edmond S. Meany
Young Professor Meany convinced the UW Board of Regents that a pharmacy school could be established with little or no startup cost to the University, if "the regular professor of chemistry were made Dean of the College" and if established pharmacists could be recruited to give lectures on a volunteer basis. Meany's confidence that these volunteers would be found is evidence of the wide support of the pharmacy professionals at that time for the School.