The School of Pharmacy seeks to attract, retain, and promote the success of students from all populations in the profession of pharmacy and the pharmaceutical sciences. The School also endeavors to support the University's mission of enhancing diversity and equity in all forms and helping students, faculty and staff understand differences in areas such as, but not limited to, religious, racial, cultural, sexual orientation, political, economic, disability and gender perspectives.
Dean of the School of Pharmacy, Department Chairs, Pharm.D. Admissions Committee Chair, Program Director for Pharmaceutical Sciences Training Grant, Director of Student Services and School of Pharmacy Administrator.
- Build strategic alliances with campus, local community and national partners to recruit an academically talented and diverse student body.
- Promote academic, practicum and service opportunities and community outreach activities, both locally and globally, in medically underserved communities.
- Monitor curriculum to ensure adequate content on diversity in the context of ethical, legal, social and clinical issues.
- Increase the number of partnerships with institutions that serve diverse populations.
- Involve interested alumni in outreach activities.
- Support UW outreach activities planned by the Health Sciences Minority Association of Pre-Health Students (MAPS), the Office of Minority Affairs, and the Graduate Opportunities and Minority Achievement Program (GO-MAP) and other groups, as identified.
- Attend and distribute programmatic information at national minority student conferences including the Annual Biomedical Research Conference for Minority Students (ABRCMS) and the Society for Advancement of Chicanos and Native Americans (SACNAS).
- Share resources, successful models, and insights about supporting diversity issues.
- Provide Pharm.D. and Ph.D. information sessions for college, university and community college students and advisors.
- Support outreach opportunities activities to students in middle through high school.
- Provide mentoring opportunities for faculty, students and staff.
- Taking budget factors into consideration, when feasible, increase the number of scholarships and the amounts awarded by the School of Pharmacy.
- Encourage and assist students to apply for diversity scholarships available through the University and other sources.
- Support a climate of awareness of diversity issues for faculty, students and staff, including connection to university and community diversity resources, support systems (including UW SACNAS Chapter), etc.
- Raise awareness and increase the number of opportunities for students and faculty to provide education and/or care in underserved communities (both locally and globally).
- Identify sources and apply for funding to support outreach activities (i.e., Bridges to Health, etc.).
Showcasing Our School's Excellence
The School of Pharmacy is proud of our accomplishments in teaching, research and service to the community. Our special report highlighting those accomplishments, "Excellence at the School of Pharmacy 2013," showcases many of the exciting achievements of our School, faculty and students. View the digital version or the PDF of the report or request your own print copy by e-mailing Sarah Guthrie.