FACTS & HIGHLIGHTS 2013
At the University of Washington School of Pharmacy, we are committed to educating the next generation of leaders in pharmacy, pharmaceutical research and health care — while seeking to ensure the safe, rational and cost-effective use of medicines. View a PDF of our Facts and Highlights.
- Instructional: We educate student pharmacists to work in partnership with other health professionals to provide accessible, compassionate, and integrative pharmaceutical care with the goal of enhancing patient outcomes. In addition, we provide high quality graduate and post-graduate education tailored to foundational and advanced training in the pharmaceutical, clinical and health outcomes sciences.
- Research and Discovery: We provide scientific leadership through development of innovative research programs in the biomedical sciences, conduct basic, translational and outcomes research, and make informed decisions at preclinical, clinical and post-approval stages of drug discovery, development and implementation.
- Service: We serve patients and the wider community as committed and compassionate leaders in the use of our knowledge and discoveries to help develop and disseminate solutions to complex healthcare problems and promote the health and well-being of regional, national and global populations.
OUR DEAN: Thomas A. Baillie, PhD, DSc
PharmD Students: 381 (The North American Pharmacist Licensure Examination (NAPLEX) pass rate for 2012 PharmD graduates who took the exam in 2012 was 100%. The on-time graduation rate for the Class of 2013 was 88%.)
PhD Students: 59
MS Students: 40
PharmD Student Demographics:
- American Indian/Native Alaskan: 1%
- Asian, Pacific Islander & Hawaiian: 53%
- Black 1%
- Hispanic 3%
- White 36%
- Other: 4%
- Female: 64%
- Male: 36%
DEPARTMENTS & PROGRAMS
Under the leadership of Dean Thomas A. Baillie, PhD, DSc, the School of Pharmacy has 42 full-time equivalent faculty members. The following departments and programs are each centers of excellence in their own right:
Department of Medicinal Chemistry
Conducting research in drug metabolism, bio-analytical chemistry and the biophysical characterization of viral protein assembly
Chair: Allan E. Rettie, PhD
Department of Pharmaceutics
Conducting research in pharmacokinetics and drug disposition
Chair: Kenneth E. Thummel, PhD
Department of Pharmacy
Leading in pharmacy education, research, and professional and outreach initiatives
Chair: Peggy S. Odegard, PharmD
Pharmaceutical Outcomes Research & Policy Program
Conducting research in pharmaceutical economics, drug safety and pharmaceutical policy
Director: Sean D. Sullivan, PhD
- We are the No. 10 ranked pharmacy school in the nation, according to U.S. News & World Report.
- Faculty secured more than $14 million in overall research funding in fiscal year 2013.
- In fiscal year 2012, we received $9.1 million in National Institutes of Health grant funding.
Professional Degree: Doctor of Pharmacy (PharmD)
Master of Science (MS): Medicinal Chemistry, Pharmaceutical Outcomes Research & Policy Program (PORPP), Pharmaceutics, Professional MS in Biomedical Regulatory Affairs
Doctor of Philosophy (PhD): Medicinal Chemistry, Pharmaceutics, PORPP
Concurrent Degrees: PharmD/Physician Assistant, PharmD/MS, PharmD/PhD
Certificate Programs: Biomedical Regulatory Affairs, Clinical Trials, Comparative Effectiveness Research, Health Economics and Outcomes Research, Plein Certificate in Geriatric Pharmacy
Residency Programs: Ambulatory Care, Community Pharmacy, Critical Care, General Residency, Oncology, Pharmacy Management/Master of Health Administration
AWARDS & HONORS
- Faculty hold leadership roles in associations including the American Association of Colleges of Pharmacy, American Association of Pharmaceutical Scientists (AAPS), American Chemical Society, American Society for Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics (ASPET), International Society for Pharmacoeconomics and Outcomes Research (ISPOR) and the International Society for the Study of Xenobiotics.
- Recent faculty honors include an AAPS Research Achievement in Biotechnology Award, an AAPS Research Achievement in Pharmacokinetics, Pharmacodynamics, and Drug Metabolism Award, an Early Career Achievement Award from ASPET, and an American Society for Parenteral and Enteral Nutrition Distinguished Nutrition Support Pharmacist Service Award.
- Recent student honors include two UW Thomas Francis, Jr., Global Health Fellowships, an ISPOR Distinguished Service Award, and a Chapter Achievement Award for our student chapter of the American Pharmacists Association-Academy of Student Pharmacists.
RESOURCES & RESEARCH CENTERS
- Analytical Biopharmacy Core
- Bracken Pharmacy Learning Center
- DNA Sequencing and Gene Analysis Center
- Mass Spectrometry Center
- Metabolism and Transport Drug Interaction Database
- Northwest-Alaska Pharmacogenomics Research Network
- Pharmacokinetics Lab
- UW Obstetric-Fetal Pharmacology Research Unit
- UW Pharmacy Cares Consulting Pharmacy
- UW Research Affiliates Program on Transporters
FISCAL YEAR 2013 REVENUE: $34 MILLION
- The School (then College) of Pharmacy was founded in 1894 as the third college at the UW.
- Louis D. Bracken, the inventor of the original “Blistex” lip ointment, attended the College of Pharmacy in 1912 and 1913.
- Bill Stavropoulos, PhD in Medicinal Chemistry, ’67, served as president, COO and chairman of Dow Chemical Company.
- George Bartell, Jr., ’53, was the president and CEO of Bartell Drugs for 44 years. Bartell was the son of the founder of the family-owned drug store chain, which is the nation’s oldest.
- Impel NeuroPharma, a company seeking to enable drugs to bypass the blood-brain barrier, was co-founded in 2008 by Professor of Pharmaceutics Rodney Ho and John Hoekman, PhD, ’10.
- UW Pharmacy Cares, founded at the School of Pharmacy in 2008, was the first ever non-dispensing, medication-therapy-management-focused pharmacy licensed in the state of Washington.
Showcasing Our School's Excellence
The School of Pharmacy is proud of our accomplishments in teaching, research and service to the community. Our special report highlighting those accomplishments, "Excellence at the School of Pharmacy 2013," showcases many of the exciting achievements of our School, faculty and students. View the digital version or the PDF of the report or request your own print copy by e-mailing Melinda Young.